Odin Brown is the 3rd Great Grandfather of my wife.
Odin's parents are believed to be Seabury Brown and Polly Fox, but I have not been able to find any paper proof of this lineage.
Odin was born in New York state on 7 March 1816. At some point before 1840 Odin marries a Sally Stevens. Other researchers have listed Sally's maiden name as Leonard. I have only found one record that list's the surname of Sally and that is the death certificate of the youngest son, Perry Brown, and it lists her maiden name as Stevens. Looking at old census records for the assumed father of Odin, Seabury, I can find a family with the surname Leonard in close proximity, so it is possible for Leonard to be Sally's surname.
There is a record for an Odin Brown for the 1840 Federal Census. This Odin is found in Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio. This family consists of one male under the age of 5, one male age 20 to 29 (Odin), one female under the age of 5, and one female age 20 to 29.
The next record found for Odin finds him in Bonus, Boone County, Illinois. This record indicates his two oldest children, ages 13 and 11, were born in the state of New York. His next oldest child, Morton, age 8, was born in Michigan. From this we know that the Brown family lived for a time in the state of Michigan, around the year 1842. The next two children, Caroline, age 6 and Frederick, age 4, were born back in the state of New York. The youngest two children, Sophia, age 2, and Ellen, age 6 months, were born in Illinois. This was a very busy decade for the Brown family as it would have found them in New York, Ohio, Michigan, back to New York, and then finally in Illinois. In 1850 Odin is a farmer and a landowner. The value of his land is listed at $400.
The Federal Census of 1860 finds the family living in Boone, Boone County, Illinois. The family is still intact. The value of Odin's property has increased to $3500 and his personal belongings are valued at $600. Odin is still farming. This coming decade of the 1860's will be a hard one on the Brown family.
Between the years of 1860 and 1870 the Brown family changes drastically. Several children die including Ellen, Alvah, George, and Rosalinda. It is apparent that a sickness of some kinds devastated the family. Odin's wife, Sally, also passes away. In 1864 Odin joins the Civil War as a hospital steward. See picture below.
Odin serves for 100 days. In 1869 Odin remarries to Helen (Nellie) Chamberlain.
Odin is living in Boone, Boone County, Illinois in the 1870 Federal Census. He only has two sons living with him at this time with his 2nd wife, Helen. His profession is now listed as a shoemaker. His real estate is valued at $1000 and personal property is valued at $3000.
Odin is next found in the 1880 Federal Census living in Sterling, Johnson County, Nebraska. His 2nd wife Helen and two new children are living with him. Both children were born in Nebraska, the eldest being 3 years old, so the family has been in Nebraska for at least 3 years. Also living with them is Helen's brother, Novis Chamberlain. Odin's profession is farming.
The next census for Odin is the 1885 Nebraska State Census. They are still residing in Sterling, Johnson County, Nebraska and Odin is still farming.
Odin passes away around the year 1899 in Sterling, Johnson County, Illinois. He appears to be buried in the Sterling Cemetery. I say that because there is also an entry for Odin in a Boone County, Illinois cemetery.
Here is the headstone picture from the Sterling Cemetery (a headstone cannot be found in Boone County, even though he is listed there by someone on FindAGrave):
Odin Brown and Sally Stevens (possibly Leonard) had the following children:
1. Hubbel Dilson Brown - born in August of 1837 in New York, death unknown. Marries Mary Louisa Jackson.
2. Cecil M Brown (female) - born about 1839 in New York, death unknown. Marries Tobias Stevenson.
3. Morton Brown - born 8 February 1842 in Michigan, dies 5 March 1909 in Russellville, Boone County, Illinois. Marries Helen Smith.
4. Caroline Brown - born about 1844 in New York, death unknown. Marriage unknown.
5. Frederick Brown - born about 1846 in New York, death unknown. Marriage unknown.
6. Sophia Brown - born 29 March 1848 in Illinois, dies 22 June 1901 in Sundance, Crook County, Wyoming. Marries (1st) Silas Durkee, (2nd) Albert Frederick Hoge.
7. Ellen Brown - born about 1850 in Illinois, death unknown. Marriage unknown.
8. Alvah Brown - born about 1852 in Illinois, dies 22 October 1860 in Russellville, Boone County, Illinois.
9. Rosalinda Brown - born about 1854 in Illinois, dies 2 November 1861 in Russellville, Boone County, Illinois.
10. Seabury Strong Brown - born 3 October 1857 in Illinois, dies 12 April 1932 in Pendleton, Umatilla County, Oregon. Marries Stella Richardson.
11. Perry Fox Brown - born October 1861 in Boone County, Illinois, dies 19 April 1936 in Meyers Falls, Stevens County, Washington. Marries Mary Viola Richardson.
12. George Brown - born about 1864 in Boone County, Illinois and dies about 1865 in Boone County, Illinois.
Odin Brown and Helen Chamberlain had the following children:
1. Daisy Brown - born 2 August 1873 in Capron, Boone County, Illinois, dies 28 March 1875 in Sterling, Johnson County, Nebraska.
2. Harry Burton Brown - born 21 August 1875 in Nebraska. Died 23 Novemer 1955 in Wyoming. Marries (1st) Myrtle Conn. Marries (2nd) Minnie Rose (last name unknown).
3. Arthur Chamberlain Brown - born 21 April 1877 in Nebraska, death unknown. Marries Lucy Pisel.
4. Barton Benjamin Brown - born 28 June 1882 in Johnson County, Nebraska, death unknown. Marries Pearl Simmons.