If you want to see my first blog click here!
If you want to read my blog about me click here!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

John E Cloud

John E Cloud is the brother of two of my 3rd Great Grandfathers, Durgan Cloud and James Madison Cloud.

John Cloud was born in South Carolina - most likely Fairfield County - about 1814.  His parents were William Cloud and Sarah (unknown).  John can be found living with his father in the 1830 Federal Census living in Madison County, Alabama.  His mother passed away prior to 1830.

I can't find John in the 1840 Census.

The following is a transcribed letter written by John's father, William, to him in 1838.  This would lead one to assume that John Cloud would have been in South Carolina around the 1840 Census time.

COPY OF A LETTER WRITTEN BY WILLIAM CLOUD OF ALABAMA
IN 1838 TO HIS SON JOHN E. CLOUD
IN FAIRFIELD COUNTY, SOUTH CAROLINA
Note: The original letter was hand written by William Cloud
in 1838. It was hand copied into a deed book of Fairfield County, South Carolina;
since it was related to the property transfer mentioned in the letter. Spaces with (-----) were unreadable. Original spelling has not been corrected.
* * *
Alabama State,
Madison County
July 6, 1838
To: John E. Cloud
Dear Sir:
I recd. your letter rote the 4th day of June and mailed the 7th in 24 days which gave me great satisfaction to hear that all was well. I duly observed thecontents  of your letter and your wishes therein contained and what you said about the land and it was thought there would be some dispute about the land next to Bowels. and Isaac Aldedge's fears about making title for fear of a squabble there. There is no need as you said of a warranty letter from me as Isaac Arledge has the power of ---ance to make the letter. Tell him and let him see this letter and he may ask Person-------- he could be liable in any way whatever, for I am sure every Neighbor there knows my land nearly as well as I do, say those that lived there when I left which was Henry Haygood, old Mr. Haygood and old Mr. Powell and sons and General Strawther and as it iswell known. Tell Seith Isaac Aldedge s to make a warrantee title to you or who may wish to purchase the land in this ---- say all my rights and claims of land lying on the waters of Little CederCreek which I purchased of the Miles, it being part of a plot of land granted to old Look Ralls more or less, that to say all my claim, in making this title,
Arledges will be perfectly safe and the purchaser also. And if they say they can't purchase it as above stated they may be safe by you and them applying in Winsborogh at the office where they, I expect will find my land on record, both deed and plat, if I am not mistaken, which will enable the purchaser to know the land. I had two hundred and six acres and three
quarters to best of my recollection. I have bin thinking how there can be any dispute in the land next to Mr. Bowel's, if mine is it must be at the lower part of his plantation next to where William Broom lived. I bot a small plot of land of Wm. Miles I believe it was about an acre or two but forget whether I----------------on a branch below Bowels field by the branch is the line between me and Miles old place. I bot it to have excess to the water and give at the ---------- dollars per acre. The branch as I have already stated was the line for a small -------- the la
maybe known it is a small piece of low ground on the west side of the branch and lies low and level, just below old Mr. Bowels plantation. I also had a small quantity (of land) on the east side of the same branch and one of my corners is just below the piece of low ground above named and on the east side of the branch next to Wm. Miles place which a Mr. Robinson owned when I left that state. The least I was offered for my land when I was on it was eleven hundred dollars all down. This was offered by Mr. Powell & Caleb Powell son of old Mr. Powell kno my land as well as I did and if yet alive can show the whole of it if he would. Give my complement to Mr. Powell and tell him to be so good as to sh my land to anyone that wants to purchase and in so doing he will much oblige one wishes him well. John tell Arledge to make a letter to all my right of land laying in Fairfield District, more of less, and if they wish to purchase , the land being well ----- will make no difference but they will still say they are afraid to purchase on the above named way
in order to get your land for nothing. If they will not purchase in the way above stated let it lie till they are willing, and I would not take less than a thousand dollars unless it was every dollar paid down, then you may take eight hundred all down and if they will not give it for my claim more or less, let it stay there til I come.
I am yours and give my love to all friends. I remain yours ------.
(Signed) Wm. Cloud
N.B. I wish you to send the amt of my land by John Whither in money, notes or other property. If you sell.
(Signed) Wm. Cloud.

The following was written by Great Grandson of John E Cloud, Thomas Jackson King:




    My great-grandfather, John E. Cloud, was one of five  children. He was born in South
Carolina around 1814, before his family migrated to Alabama. He grew to  maturity in the
Cloud's Cove area mentioned above. He most likely married around 1844 , but so  far I have
been unable to find a record of his marriage. Since he traveled to Tennessee and South
Carolina, it is possible that he was married in one of those states. Estate and census records
show that his wife's given name was Sarah J. She may have been from Tennessee or South
Carolina, but I have not checked to see if that is correct; some day I may do so.

    Around 1838, John E. returned to the Fairfield  District of South Carolina to help his
father dispose of some land left behind when the family migrated to Alabama. Records show
that afterwards, he spent sometime in Tennessee and later farmed some land his father owned in the Cloud's Cove area of Madison County Alabama.

    Civil War records show that on the first of August  1863, John E. Cloud sold some forage
(hay) to the  Confederate States. About a year later on the 25th of June 1864, he signed an
Oath of Allegiance to the U. S.; since at that time, north Alabama was occupied by Union
troops.
   
       On the oath form that John signed, he was described as being of ruddy complexion,
having dark hair and grey eyes; he was also five feet and nine inches high.  Incidentally, his
brother Durgan's Oath that was processed at the same time, reflects a similar description;
except he was six feet tall.
  
    Court records regarding the estate of John's father William, show that John E. died during
the Civil War. He left seven minor children, my grandfather being the youngest of them. I
once heard from another genealogical researcher that John E.'s widow remarried a couple of
years following his death to a man named John Harrison.  They lived in the New Hope,
Alabama area. I was unable  to find them in the 1870 U. S. Census for Madison  County,
Alabama; but I did find a John Harrison living in nearby Marshall County.    

    Some Civil War records that the author  recently received  photocopies of, say that John
E. was arrested for Violation of his Oath of Allegiance to the Union. He was subsequently
transferred to a Federal Military prison in Nashville. There he died on 30 January 1865  in a
federal military hospital. His death was due to dropsy (edema) of the liver, which could have
resulted from interrogation abuse while in prison. Please note Appendix B for a copy of the
charges against him.

   John's brother Durgan Cloud was arrested the same day for violation of his Oath of
Allegiance. He  survived the war and later became the foster father of my grandfather John
Ruben Lee Cloud. (Incidentally, Durgan also had a son named John).


***********************************************************************************


John Cloud can be found in the 1850 Federal Census in Madison County, Alabama.  He is most likely living on the property of his father William Cloud that was Willed to him.  He is living with his wife Sarah (unknown surname) and two children, Emma and Lenora.  Living next door, again most likely on property Willed by William Cloud, is John's sister Elizabeth, along with her husband Simon Turner and daughter Cherry Ann Turner.

John is still living in Madison County, Alabama during the 1860 Federal Census.  His wife and five children are living with him.

We know that the years following 1860 until John's death in 1865 were tumultuous by the recap above by John's Great Grandson.  The Civil War was being fought on the land were he lived - the town of Vienna, where he lived close to, was burned to the ground with the exception of two buildings.  He was taken as a prisoner of war and died in a military hospital in Tennessee.

His wife remarried before 1870 to a John Harrison.  The 1870 Federal Census is the last record found for her - her death date is unknown. 

John Cloud and Sarah had the following children:

1. Emma Elizabeth Cloud - born 1845 in Madison County, Alabama.  Died 1874 in Madison County, Alabama.  Marries (first) Silas Randals.  Marries (second) Francis Clark.
2. Russian Cloud - born 1846 in Madison County, Alabama.  Died before 1850 in Madison County.
3. Lenora Jane Cloud - born 1847 in Madison County, Alabama.  Died 1884 in Madison County, Alabama.  Marries William Riley Lemley.
4. Learina Francis (Fannie) Cloud - born 1852 in Madison County, Alabama.  Died 1883 in Madison County, Alabama.  Marries (first) Richard Clark.  Marries (second) William E Butler.
5. Mary C (Mollie) Cloud - born 1855 in Madison County, Alabama.  Died around 1876 in Madison County, Alabama.  Marries Peter Lemley.
6. John Ruben Lee (Beadle) Cloud - born August 1858 in Madison County, Alabama.  Died 1827 in Madison County, Alabama.  Marries Fannie Lacy Wall.
7. Sarah (Sallie) Cloud - born 1861 in Madison County, Alabama.  Died 1881 in Madison County, Alabama.

It is not known where John E Cloud is buried.

No comments:

Post a Comment